Saturday, December 22, 2018

Announcement: This Week At The Science Circle : “Space Shuttle Launch/Re-Entry And International Space Station”


“Space Shuttle Launch/Re-Entry And International Space Station”
Saturday, December 22
7 AM SLT

Space Shuttle Launch/Re-entry and International Space Station” at International Spaceflight Museum in SL

Hajime Nishimura, Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC)

Yan Lauria, Museum director of Abyss Observatory in SL/OpenSim

Abstract:
I was working on development of Japan Experiment Module, “Kibo” (“Hope” in English) of International Space Station (ISS) Program at Japan Space Development Agency (current JAXA) 30 years ago.

When I visit International Spaceflight Museum (ISM) in SL, I found ISS at that time didn’t have “Kibo”, so I proposed to provide “Kibo” to ISM members, and made “Kibo” with help of my friend, unico Bailey and docked to the ISS in 2014.

Last year, I found my friend, pyo Igaly made a very nice Space Shuttle ride so I proposed to ISM members again. I and pyo checked final launch, re-entry and landing sequences of space shuttle, and finally pyo installed the new space shuttle ride at ISM on this summer.

Pyo also made new version of Newton cannon of Exploratorium.

I had several remote class rooms for children at RL science museum in Japan using Newton cannon, Space shuttle ride and ISS exhibits.

At first, I’ll guide you to new Newton Cannon at the sky of Abyss Observatory (Farwell). You can learn about relation between initial launching speed and the orbit of spacecraft.

Next, we’ll move to ISM, you can experience Space Shuttle launch and landing.

The atmospheric re-entry sequences of the winged space shuttle is very tricky and it has been improved much better than I was involved in the space station project.

(Launch)
(Re-entry and landing)

At the ISS exhibit, I’ll talk about design features of US-Russia complex, uniqueness of space environment and living pattern of astronauts there.

Abyss Observatory at Farwell
International Spaceflight Museum in SL

No comments:

Post a Comment