"Man On The Street" Responses to the Furry Convention Gas Leak
Today the Newser welcomes a new writer, Locke Esgal. While thinking of a subject to write about, the attention of those he was talking to turned to a chlorine gas leak at the MidWest FurFest convention near Chicago in which the hotel had to be evacuated and a hazmat team sent in. Nineteen had to be treated at the hospital, although all but one were soon released. Police are treating the incident as a deliberate, criminal act. For a number of furry fans in Second Life, already irritated by how their genre is sometimes viewed and depicted by others, the event touched a raw nerve. Lock talked to a number of people on the streets of Second Life, and while most wanted to remain anonymous, he got a number of opinions.