Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Commentary: What Being a Second Life Journalist Means To Me


When I was in college, I imagined that I would use my communications degree to get a job at a newspaper or a television station as a journalist. However, after I graduated, life had other plans. It’s not that I didn’t try to get a traditional media job, it’s that I either wasn’t hired or that the job didn’t make sense from a financial standpoint. I needed money and working less than part time doing oddball reports in the hopes of one day getting a full time position wasn’t going to pay my rent or car payments. I spent four years of my life earning a 3.77 GPA. What more do I need to prove before I’m worthy of making a living?

So I took on normal jobs, never using my degree, but in the back of my mind writing and creating content for people was still a passion of mine. I could have tried to do things on my own, and I am to a degree now over at YouTube, but gaining an audience is a hard and long process. When I got the opportunity to write for the Second Life Newser, the audience was already there, and I could write an article a week in my spare time. Even though I’m not getting paid in real money, I still enjoy having an audience here. Money isn’t the only thing that drives content creators. I would hazard to say that their audience plays a bigger part in their drive. What being a Second Life journalist means to me is an opportunity to have a voice that will be heard.

Happy 10th Anniversary Second Life Newser!

Cyfir

No comments:

Post a Comment